Starting a business that does not require a license
Many businesses do not require a business license. Nevertheless, every entrepreneur starting a new business and every business owner operating in the city, whether their business requires a license or not, is welcome to visit the service center for business and carry out a number of actions.
1. Municipal tax (charges, collection, water, and title deeds):
– Registering the municipal tax account under the business owner’s name
– Inquiry and settlement of municipal tax and water payments
– Changing the use of the property, if necessary
– Applying for a yearly signage license, in the following cases:
– Installation of a new sign
– Changing a sign’s content, shape, size, location, or any other changes
– Changing an existing sign’s owner or holder
– Paying signage fees (after receiving the signage committee’s approval)
3. Business planning information
– Information on the business (designated land use, uses according to city zoning plan, land betterment tax, preservation, etc.)
– A signed and approved business plan
– Inquiries regarding land betterment tax liability
– Referral to a meeting at the technical archives, in order to find out whether the requested use is in conformance with the building permit. According to planning and building laws, any use that does not conform to the building permit requires the issuance of a nonconforming use permit.
Starting a business that requires a license
Every entrepreneur and business owner is required to take care of a number of issues, as detailed above. At the service center for business, you will be able to resolve those issues and schedule a meeting with the business licensing department‘s business licensing and information center. The next stop for a business requiring a license is the business licensing department’s business licensing and information center, where we will assist you with the application for licensing and running a business in Tel Aviv-Yafo in accordance with the business licensing law.
Here are the main steps of the licensing process:
1. Firstly, it is recommended to submit a request for preliminary information. A business licensing department information coordinator will provide you with information on the following topics:
– Details on the application process, licensing bodies, required papers and forms.
– What a business plan is, whether one is required, and how it should be submitted.
– Additional specific information on the desired type of business, verbally and in writing, such as: adjusting the property to the desired use, notice of the possibility of issuing a nonconforming use permit, closing orders and complaints issued for previous businesses on the property, information regarding relevant legal processes.
2. A business licensing department planning engineer will be happy to assist you during the business planning stage and preparation of your business plan.
It is recommended you schedule a meeting in order to obtain instructions for planning and preparing your business plan (including the application for a nonconforming use permit) so that it meets all the requirements and can be approved as a basis for a business license application.
An inquiry into whether the licensing process will include building licensing can be made independently with the technical archives, by appointment (call 03-5217049/121/080 ext. 1).
3. Once your application is prepared and your business plan is approved by a planning engineer, the business license application can be submitted to the business licensing department. The application will include:
– The application form
– A signed and approved business plan
– Safety plan
– A signed payment slip for application fees
– Additional documents, such as: up-to-date municipal tax contract number, a lease signed by the property owner, a confirmation by the Registrar of Companies, a photocopy ID, and power of attorney.
The business licensing department receives your application and hands it over to municipal and governmental licensing authorities for deliberation and approval:
– The business licensing department’s plan review and nonconforming use division
– The business licensing department’s business review division
– The municipality’s environmental authority
– The city fire department
– Sanitation department
– Israel Police
– Ministry of Economy
– Ministry of Health
– If necessary, and according to the type of business, the application will be forwarded to other bodies as well, such as: Mei Avivim water corporation, building preservation department, dangerous structures department, legal service, city veterinarian (representing the Ministry of Agriculture), city enforcement division, city property division, Ministry of Education, Ministry of Transportation, and Ministry of Infrastructure.
Each licensing body will review the business and compile a report detailing the issues in need of correction.
4. The business licensing department follows up on the request with you and with all licensing bodies, and is the one to make the decision whether to issue a short-term permit, issue a business license according to law, or refuse, if one or more of the licensing bodies refuses the application (in which case the matter must be settled with the refusing authority).
An application status follow-up service is available at your disposal at the municipal website and via e-mail.
In addition, the website features a number of useful guides, such as: a guide to opening a business requiring a license, a guide to licensing a food selling businesses, a guide to licensing bars and nightclubs.
After starting your business
Finally, the business is open and is finding its place within the urban tapestry of Tel Aviv’s. Tel Aviv-Yafo is a national metropolitan cultural and economic center, home to over 400,000 citizens, with over 50,000 businesses operating in its territory, hosting hundreds of thousands of local and international visitors every day, year-round.
The ability to provide a “world city” experience with a high quality of living necessitates a collaboration and balance to be maintained between residents and businesses, that often occupy the same street or building. It is the municipality’s duty to enable that balance, and for that purpose, the Tel Aviv-Yafo Municipality operates city services around the clock: waste collection, cleaning, lighting, maintaining the public order, and reporting and addressing hazards 24 hours a day.
As a business owner, by the power of that same sentiment of collaboration, you are able to act and contribute to the successful progression of daily life in the city and promote the shared goal of preserving and improving Tel Aviv’s status as a major center for business. Here are some points of interface where we ask for your cooperation in maintaining the city’s shared space and system of balance:
Please make sure that arrangements for waste accumulation exist in your location and find out what those arrangements are.
Waste collection and irregular waste – irregular waste will be collected in coordination with the sanitation department’s regional workstation. To inquire regarding collection days for waste and regular waste in your location, and to obtain the details of your nearest workstation, call the 106 Plus service hotline or refer to the municipal website.
Businesses producing large amounts of cardboard are required to use a cardboard compactor and arrange for the cardboard to be collected by a private company.
According to Tel Aviv-Yafo bylaws (maintaining order and cleanliness), each business owner must ensure that the sidewalk outside their business is regularly swept and kept clean.
Food selling businesses – restaurants, banquet halls, etc. – are required to use a tank for used cooking oil.
Meat and fish waste must be accumulated in heavy-duty plastic bags and kept in refrigeration inside the property until collected, to avoid odor pollution.
2. Maintaining the public order:
Compliance with the terms of the business license
Setting equipment and merchandise outside the property only by permit
Maintaining the smoking ban
Maintaining the prohibition to operate noisy equipment inside and outside the business
Posting ads regarding business activities only on dedicated city notice boards
Loading and unloading only in permitted zones, to allow the regular and uninterrupted flow of traffic
Multi-functional urban inspectors operate in public spaces year-round and through the small hours of the night, and help maintain the public order and the quality of life for the benefit of businesses and citizens alike.
3. Loading and unloading:
Loading and unloading zones are defined throughout the city. If you are interesting in designating an area outside your business for loading and unloading, you must apply with the transportation department’s planning division, detailing:
– The essence and reason for your application
– The exact location where you request the changes to be performed
– Contact details
The process will include a tour of the area and examination of the application’s feasibility, planning, and approval by the road sign committee. If approved, the area will be appropriately marked and a road sign will be installed.
The application should be faxed to 03-5217463. For more information, call 03-5217244.
|Property area in square meters|
The data presented refer to the property tax property taxes by decree in 2014. Prices are valued and do not include workshops, banks and software houses